The Royal Society of Literature is seeking a new Treasurer to join its Council and Finance and HR Committee. The new Treasurer will be an experienced finance professional, with a background in accounting, financial management or fund management, and will have previous charity Trustee experience.
The Royal Society of Literature is led by its Council of Fellows and Honorary Fellows, chaired by Daljit Nagra. Council members are Trustees of the organisation, and are advised by the Finance and HR Committee, which draws additional expertise in finance, fundraising, legal and human resources management, as well as providing additional insight into best practice for the Society’s governance.
The Treasurer sits on both the Council and on the Finance and HR Committee. The Committee is led by Daljit Nagra and the RSL Treasurer (currently Colin Chisholm, a former Investment Director at Rathbones Investment Management). An important part of the role of Treasurer is to work with the RSL Chair, Director and team in building the financial resources of the organisation, ensuring that charity continues to support generations of readers and writers.
The main responsibilities of the Treasurer include:
- Overseeing the RSL’s financial activities and financial reporting (supplied by the RSL Finance subcontractors and RSL Director). This includes advising on financial governance, guiding the Council and working with the executive team on all aspects of the RSL’s financial management
- Reviewing the RSL annual budget and supporting the RSL Director in monitoring adherence to the budget
- Ensuring the RSL’s funds – including investments – are appropriately managed, including annual meetings with the RSL’s investment fund managers
- Assisting in risk assessment when actioning financial decision making, in compliance with relevant legislation
- Sitting on the Finance and HR Committee
- Ensuring that the RSL continues to have appropriate financial systems and controls in place
- Supporting and take an active role in fundraising for the Society
The deadline for consideration is 11 April 2023.
If you would like to find out more about the role, visit the RSL Treasurer page on Nurole.