- The big themes are alive in the smallest transactions.
- One good image conveys more than pages of assertion and explanation. Put your faith in the power of images.
- The golden detail carries a whole world on its shoulders.
- Remember James Salter: ‘Names are the first poems.’
- Keep asking, What’s at stake? If nothing’s at stake, it’s just an anecdote…
|Joseph Mitchell||Up in the Old Hotel|
|Italo Calvino||The Baron in the Trees|
|Shirley Hazzard||The Transit of Venus|
|Seamus Heaney||The Hare with Amber Eyes|
|Primo Levi||The Periodic Table|
|Ivan Turgenev||Fathers and Sons|